Scared of the cold Benguela Current’s predators or just looking for a safe, natural place to swim and experience the benefits of salty, fresh waters? The Cape Whale Coast offers a number of safe swimming options. Pack your sunscreen, water and a fluffy towel and take a friend or two to one of the following tidal pools with easy walk-in access.
- The Marine Pool is conveniently situated in town in close proximity to the Hermanus high street shops and offers an opportunity to cool down with the convenience of a changing facility next to the pool. After a refreshing swim you could pop in at The Marine for a glass of wine. Very civil indeed!
- Fick’s Pool on the way to the Hermanus new harbour
- Davies’ Pool opposite the Onrus Caravan Park has well maintained ablution facilities right at the walkway to the water and has become the meeting place of locals on a sunny afternoon. Exercise does not have to be a solitary occasion.
- Rabies’ Pool at the bottom of Vermont Drive bordering Onrus and Vermont offers two tidal pools in one. The front pool seems to be a quick-dip opportunity for dogs while the back pool, which is a little bit more treacherous to enter, offers the luxury of swimming while the waves are breaking a meter away. A close encounter with nature!
- Gansbaai sports a tidal pool with braai facilities on hand
- Kleinbaai’s pool has a grass spot ideal for a picnic while swimming
Stock up on some feel-good energy and sunshine vitamins while burning the calories away -stroke for stroke in fresh seawater!